The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 23-A: Translate into English.
1. Imesa.m dasanna.m dhanavantaana.m pa~ncamo sukha.m jiivati.
[of] these / 10 / rich ones / fifth / comfortably / lives
Out of these 10 rich ones the fifth lives comfortably.
2. Aya.m diipi sanika.m aagantvaa sahasaa gaaviyaa upari pati.
this / leopard / slowly / having come / suddenly / cow / on / fell
This leopard came slowly and suddenly fell on the cow.
3. A.t.thanna.m ka~n~naana.m cha.t.thaa gaavi.m da.lha.m bandhitvaa vaapi.m nesi.
8 / girls / sixth / cow / tightly / having bound / [to] tank / led
The sixth among the 8 girls bound the cow tightly and led (it) to the tank.
4. Ime pa~nca daarakaa abhinha.m magge dhaavantaa kii.lanti.
these / five / boys / constantly / [on] road / running / play
These five boys constantly running on the road are playing.
5. Imesu navasu sissesu sattamo saadhuka.m ugga.nhaati.
these / 9 / students / seventh / well / learns
Among these 9 students, the seventh learns well.
6. Bhikkhuu Bhagavato santika.m aagantvaa ta.m vanditvaa ekamanta.m nisiidi.msu.
monks / [to] Exalted One / in front of / having come / him / paid homage / on one side / sat down
The monks came before the Exalted One, paid homage to him and sat to one side.
7. So se.t.thii (attano) dhana.m pa~ncadhaa vibhajitvaa pa~ncanna.m dhiitaraana.m adadi.
that / millionaire / his own / wealth / in five ways / divided / [to] five / daughters / gave
That millionaire divided his wealth in five parts and gave it to his five daughters.
8. Tassa cha.t.thaaya dhiituyaa putto dvikkhattu.m ima.m nagara.m aagacchi.
his / [of] sixth / [of ]daughter / son / twice / this / city / came
The son of his sixth daughter came twice to this city.
9. Pa.thama.m te assaa ratha.m sama.m aaka.d.dhi.msu, dutiya.m siigha.m dhaavi.msu.
at first / those / horses / carriage / evenly / drew / for the second time / quickly / ran
At first those horses drew the carriage evenly, then/secondly they ran quickly.
10. Mama a.t.thanna.m bhataraana.m catuttho dukkha.m jiivati.
my / 8 / [of] brothers / fourth / with difficulty / lives
The fourth among my eight brothers lives with difficulty.
11. Katha.m te cattaaro vaa.nijaa tattha vasanti?
how / those / four / merchants / there / live
How do those four merchants live there?
12. So dhiitara.m eva.m vatvaa sahasaa tato a~n~na.m .thaana.m gacchi.
he / [to] daughter / so / having said / suddenly / from there / other / place / went
Having said so to his daughter he suddenly went from there to another place.
Exercise 23-B: Translate into Pali.
1. Those ten boys are constantly playing at this place.
te / dasa / kumaaraa / abhi.nha.m / ki.lanti / imasmi.m / .thaane
Te dasa kumaaraa imasmi.m .thaane abhi.nha.m ki.lanti.
2. The fifth of these seven merchants lives happily (or comfortably).
pa~ncamo / imesa.m / sattanna.m / vaa.nijaana.m / vasati / sukha.m
Imesa.m sattanna.m vaa.nijaana.m pa~ncamo sukha.m vasati.
3. The king twice came out of the city and once bathed in this tank.
bhuupati / dvikkhattu.m / nikkhamma / nagaraa / saki.m / nahaayi / imaaya.m / vaapiya.m
Bhuupati dvikkhattu.m nagaraa nikkhamma imaaya.m vaapiya.m saki.m nahaayi.
4. The horses will run quickly drawing evenly the carriages after them.
assaa / dhaavissanti / siigha.m / aaka.d.dhantaa / sama.m / rathe
Assaa sama.m rathe sama.m aaka.d.dhantaa sigha.m dhaavissanti.
5. The fourth of the seven monks does not observe the precepts well.
catuttho / sattanna.m / bhikkhuuna.m / na / rakkhati / siilaani / saadhuka.m
Sattanna.m bhikkhuuna.m catuttho saadhuka.m siilaani na rakkhati.
6. These twelve merchants went to the Buddha and sat aside to hear His preaching.
ime / dvaadasa / vaa.nijaa / gantvaa / Buddha.m / nisiidi.msu / ekamanta.m / sotu.m / tassa / desana.m
Ime dvaadasa vaa.nijaa Buddha.m gantvaa tassa desana.m sotu.m ekamanta.m nisiidi.msu.
7. Suddenly a thief came to me and tried to take my umbrella.
sahasaa / coro / aagantvaa / ma.m / ussahi / ga.nhitu.m / mayha.m / chatta.m
Coro sahasaa ma.m aagantvaa mayha.m chatta.m ga.nhitu.m ussahi.
8. Slowly they went together to the bank of the river and came back separately.
sanika.m / te / gantvaa / ekato / kuula.m / nadiyaa / paccaagacchi.msu / visu.m
Te sanika.m nadiyaa kuula.m ekato gantvaa visu.m pacaagacchi.msu.
9. The third of the five sons of my friend learns with difficulty.
tatiyo / pa~ncanna.m / puttaana.m / mayha.m / mittassa / ugga.nhaati / dukkha.m
Mayha.m mittassa pa~ncanna.m puttana.m tatiyo dukkha.m ugga.nhaati.
10. How did he enter the city and come out of it so quickly?
katha.m / so / pavisitvaa / nagara.m / nikkhami / eva.m / siigha.m
Katha.m so nagara.m pavisitvaa eva.m siigha.m nikkhami?
11. The second daughter of his sixth brother lives (with difficulty or) miserably.
dutiyaa / dhiitaa / tassa / cha.t.thassa / bhaatussa / vasati / dukkha.m
Tassa cha.t.thassa bhaatussa dutiyaa dhiitaa dukkha.m vasati.
12. Thus he spoke to his third sister and went aside.
eva.m / so / bhaasitvaa / tassaa / tatiyaaya / dhiituyaa / gacchi / ekamanta.m
So tassa tatiyaaya dhiituyaa eva.m bhaasitvaa ekamanta.m gacchi.
Alt: So tassa tatiyaaya dhiituyaa eva.m bhaasitvaa apagacchi.