The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 16-A: Translate into English.
1. Sabbesa.m nattaaro pa~n~navanto na bhavanti.
[of] all / grandsons / wise / not / are
Everyone's grandsons are not wise.
2. Sabbaa ithhiyo vaapiya.m nahaatvaa padumaani pi.landhitvaa aagacchi.msu.
all / women / [in] tank / having bathed / lotuses / having donned / came
Having bathed in the tank and donned the lotuses, all women came.
3. A~n~no vaa.nijo sabba.m dhana.m yaacakaana.m datvaa geha.m pahaaya pabbaji.
other / merchant / all / wealth / [to] beggars / having given /
house / having left / became a monk
Having given all his wealth to beggars and left his house, the other merchant became a monk.
4. Maataa ubhayaasam pi dhiitaraana.m vatthaani kinitvaa dadissati
mother / both / also / [for] daughters / cloth / having bought / will give
Having also bought cloth for both daughters, the mother will give it to them.
5. Ko nadiyaa vaapiyaa ca antaraa dhenu.m harati?
who / river / tank / and / between / cow / carries
Who carries the cow between the river and the tank?
6. Kassa putto dakkhi.na.m disa.m gantvaa viihi.m aaharissati?
whose / son / southern / direction / having gone / paddy / will bring
Whose son, having gone in the southern direction, will bring the paddy?
7. Ye paapaani karonti te niraye nibbattitvaa dukkha.m labhissanti.
who / sins / do / they / [in] hell / having been borne / pain / will get
Those who do sins, having been born in hell, they will get pain.
8. Kaasa.m dhiitaro vanamhaa daaruuni aaharitvaa odana.m pacissanti?
whose / daughters / [from] forest / firewoods / having brought / rice
/ will cook
Whose daughters will bring firewoods from the forest and cook rice?
9. Katarena maggena so puriso nagara.m gantvaa bha.n.daani ki.ni?
[by] which / way / that / man /city / having gone / goods / bought
By which way did that man go to the city and buy goods?
10. Itaraa daarikaa vanitaaya hatthaa pupphaani gahetvaa cetiya.m puujesi.
the other / girl / [of] woman / [from] hand / flowers / having taken /
shrine / offered
Having taken the flowers from the woman's hand, the other girl offered [them] to the shrine.
11. Paresa.m dhana.m dha~n~na.m vaa ga.nhitu.m maa cintetha.
[of] others / wealth / corn / or / to take / not / think
Do not think to take wealth or corn of others.
12. Aparo a~n~nissa.m* vaapiya.m nahaatvaa pubbaaya disaaya nagara.m paavisi.
another / [of] others / [in] tank / having bathed / eastern /
direction / city / entered
The other bathed in the tank belonging to others, and entered the city in the eastern direction.
* a~n~nissa.m does not occur in the Pali canon. The locative feminine singular
in the canon is a~n~nissaa.
Exercise 16-B: Translate into Pali.
1. All entered the city (in order) to see gardens, houses and streets.
sabbaa / paavisi.msu / nagara.m / passitu.m / aaraame / gehe / ca / visikhaayo
Sabbaa aaraame ca gehe ca visikhaayo ca passitu.m nagara.m paavisi.msu.
2. The daughters of all the women in the village walked along the path to the shrine.
dhiitaro / sabbaasa.m / vanitaana.m / gaame / cari.msu / anu / magga.m
Gaame sabbaasa.m vanitaana.m dhiitaro cetiya.m magga.m anu cari.msu.
3. Another maiden took a lotus and gave (it) to the former.
a~n~naa / ka~n~naa / aadaaya / paduma.m / dadi / pubbassaa
A~n~naa ka~n~naa paduma.m aadaaya pubbassaa dadi.
4. Which man will bring some milk for me?
katamo / naro / aanessati / khiira.m / me
Katamo naro me khiira.m aanessati?
5. Who stands on the bank of the river and looks in the southern direction?
ko / .thatvaa / kuule / nadiyaa / oloketi / dakkhina.m / disa.m
Ko nadiyaa kuule .thatvaa dakkhina.m disa.m oloketi?
6. Sons of all rich men do not always become wealthy.
puttaa / sabbesa.m / dhanavantaana.m / na / sadaa / bhavanti / dhanavanto
Sabbesa.m dhanavantaana.m puttaa sadaa dhanavanto na bhavanti.
7. Whose grandsons brought the cows here and gave (them) grass to eat?
kesaana.m / nattaaro / aaharitvaa / dhenuyo / ettha / dadi.msu /
ti.na.m / bhu~njitu.m
Kesaana.m nattaaro ettha dhenuyo aaharitvaa ti.na.m bhu~njitu.m dadi.msu?
8. Tomorrow, all women in the city will come out from there and wander in the forest.
suve / sabbaa / vanitaayo / nagare / nikkhamma / tato / aahi.n.dissanti / vane
Suve, nagare sabbaa vanitaayo tato nikkhamma vane aahi.n.dissanti.
9. The other woman, having seen a leopard on the street, ran across the garden.
a~n~naa / vanitaa / passitvaa / diipi.m / visikhaaya.m / dhaavi /
tiriya.m / aaraame
A~n~naa vanitaa visikhaaya.m diipi.m passitvaa aaraame tiriya.m dhaavi.
10. Whosoever acquires merit through charity will be born in heaven.
yo koci / labhati / pu~n~na.m / daanena / nibbattissati / sagge
Yo koci daanena pu~n~na.m labhati (so) sagge nibbattissati.
11. A certain man brought lotuses from the pond, another man carried (them) to the market to sell.
a~n~nataro / puriso / aahari / padumaani / pokkhara.niyaa / a~n~no / puriso
/ hari / aapa.na.m / vikki.nitu.m
A~n~nataro puriso pokkhara.niyaa padumaani aahari a~n~no puriso aapa.na.m vikki.nitu.m
12. My brother's son broke the branches of the other tree (in order) to gather flowers, leaves and fruits.
mama / bhaatussa / putto / bha~nji / saakhaayo / itarassa / tarussa /
ocinitu.m / pupphaani / pa.n.naani / ca phalaani
Mama bhaatussa putto pupphaani ca pa.n.naani ca phalaani ca ocinitu.m itarassa tarussa saakhaayo bha~nji.