The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 13-A: Translate into English.
1. Daasiyaa maataa dhenu.m rajjuyaa bandhitvaa aanesi.
[of] slave woman / mother / cow / [with] rope / having bound /
The mother of the slave woman tied and brought the cow with a rope.
2. Mayha.m maatulaanii yaagu.m pacitvaa dhiitaraana.m dadissati.
my / aunt / rice gruel / having cooked / [to]
daughters / will give
Having cooked the rice-gruel, my aunt will give it to her daughters.
3. Ka.neruyo a.taviya.m aahi.n.ditvaa tattha kaasuusu pati.msu.
she-elephants / [in] forest / having wandered / there /
[in] pits / fell
Having wandered in the forest, the she-elephants fell down in the pits there.
4. Dhanavatiyaa sassu idha aagamma bhikkhuu vandissati.
[of] rich woman / mother-in-law / here / having come /
monk / will bow
Having come here, the rich woman's mother-in-law will bow to the monk.
5. Raajiniyaa dhiitaro aaraama.m gantvaa satthaara.m maalaahi puujesu.m.
[of] queen / daughters / [to] garden / having gone /
teacher / [with] garlands / honoured
Having gone to the garden, the queen's daughters honoured the teacher with
6. Ka~n~naana.m pitaro dhiitaraana.m vuddhi.m icchanti.
[of] girls / fathers / [to] daughters / prosperity / wish
The girls' fathers wish their daughters prosperity.
7. Kuto tva.m dhenuyo ki.nissasi?
from where / you / cows / will buy
From where will you buy the cows?
8. Kattha tava bhaginiyo nahaayitvaa pacitvaa bhu~nji.msu?
where / your / sisters / having bathed / ate
Where did your sisters eat after having bathed and cooked?
9. Te gehassa ca rukkhassa ca antaraa kii.li.msu.
they / house / and / tree / and / between / played
They played between the house and the tree.
10. Naariyaa duhitaro gehassa anto ma~ncesu sayissanti.
[of] woman / daughters / house / inside / [on] beds / will
The woman's daughters will sleep on the beds inside the house.
11. Dhituyaa ja`nghaaya.m daddu atthi.
[of] daughter / [on] calf / eczema / is
There is eczema on the daughter's calf.
12. Yuvatii maalaa pilandhitvaa sassuyaa geha.m gamissati.
maiden / garlands / having put on / [of] mother-in-law /
house / will go
Having put on the garlands, the maiden will go the house of her mother in law.
13. Amhaaka.m maataraana.m gaaviyo sabattha caritvaa bhu~njitvaa saaya.m
our / [of] mothers / cows / everywhere / having walked /
having eaten / in the evening / in one place / assemble
Having walked and eaten everywhere, our mothers' cows assemble in one place in
14. Dhanavatiyaa nattaaro magge tiriya.m dhaavitvaa a.tavi.m pavisitvaa
[of] rich woman / grandsons / path / accross / having run
/ forest / having entered / hid
Having run across the path and entered the forest, the grandsons of the rich
15. Asani rukkhassa upari patitvaa saakhaa chinditvaa taru.m maaresi.
thunder-bolt / tree / over / having fallen / branches /
having cut / tree / destroyed
Having fallen over the tree and cut the branches the thunder-bolt destroyed the
Exercise 13-B: Translate into Pali.
1. The girl's mother gave a garland to the damsel.
kumaariyaa / maataa / dadi / maala.m / ka~n~naaya
Kumaariyaa maataa ka~n~naaya maala.m dadi.
2. Having tied the cows with ropes the woman dragged (them) to the forest.
bandhitvaa / dhenuu / rajjuubhi / naarii / aakka.d.dhi /
Naarii rajjuubhi dhenuu bandhitvaa a.tavi.m aakka.d.dhi.
3. Having wandered everywhere in the island, the damsel's sister came home
and ate (some) food.
aahi.nditvaa / sabattha / diipe / kumaariyaa / bhaginii /
aagamma / geha.m / khaadi / aahaara.m
Kumaariyaa bhaginii sabattha diipe aahi.nditvaa geha.m aagamma aahaara.m khaadi.
4. Where does your mother's sister live?
kuhi.m / tava / maatuyaa / bhaginii / vasati
Kuhi.m tava maatuyaa bhaginii vasati?
5. My sister's daughters live in one place.
mayha.m / bhaginiyaa / dhiitaro / vasanti / ekattha
Mayha.m bhaginiyaa dhiitaro ekattha vasanti.
6. When will they come to the river?
kadaa / te / aagamissanti / nadi.m
Kadaa te nadi.m aagamissanti?
7. The queen's mother-in-law came here yesterday and went back today.
raajiniyaa / sassu / aagamma / idha / hiiyo / paccaagami /
Raajiniyaa sassu hiiyo idha aagamma ajja paccaagami.
8. Having bathed in the tank, the daughters of the rich woman walked across
nahaatvaa / vaapiya.m / dhiitaro / dhanavatiyaa /
acari.msu / tiriya.m / aaraame
Dhanavatiyaa dhiitaro vaapiya.m nahaatvaa aaraame tiriya.m acari.msu.
9. Our aunts will cook rice-gruel and drink it with women friends.
amha.m / maatulaaniyo / pacitvaa / yaagu.m / pivissanti /
saha / sakhiihi
Amha.m maatulaaniyo yaagu.m pacitvaa sakhiihi saha pivissanti.
10. The cows of the mother-in-law walk between the rock and the trees.
dhenuyo / sassuyaa / caranti / antaraa / paasaa.nassa / ca
Sassuyaa dhenuyo paasaa.nassa ca rukkhaana.m ca antaraa caranti.
11. When will your mothers and daughters go to the garden and hear the words
of the Buddha?
kadaa / tumhaaka.m / maataro / ca / dhiitaro / gantvaa /
aaraama.m / su.nissanti / vaacaayo / Buddhassa
Kadaa tumhaaka.m maataro ca dhiitaro ca aaraama.m gantvaa Buddhassa vaacaayo
12. From where did you bring the elephant?
kuto / tva.m / aanayo / hatthi.m
Kuto tva.m hatthi.m aanayo?
13. Sons of the queen went along the river to a forest and there fell in a
puttaa / raajiniyaa / gantvaa / nadi.m anu / a.tavi.m /
tattha / pati.msu / kaasuya.m
Raajiniyaa puttaa nadi.m anu a.tavi.m gantvaa tattha kaasuya.m pati.msu.
14. There is itch on the hand of the sister.
atthi / kacchu / hatthe / bhaginiyaa
Bhaginiyaa hatthe kacchu atthi.
15. The thunder-bolt fell on a rock and broke it into two.
asani / patitvaa / paasaane / bhindi / dvidhaa
Asani paasaane patitvaa dvidhaa bhindi.