Pali Primer Exercise 18
Translate into English
1. Sace sabhaaya.m ka˝˝aayo katheyyu.m aha.m pi kathessaami.
if / in assembly / girls / would speak / I / too / will
If the girls speak in the assembly, I will speak too.
2. Daarikaayo pupphaani ocinitvaa saalaaya.m nisiiditvaa maalaayo kari.msu.
girls / flowers / having collected / in hall / having seated / garlands / made
Having collected flowers, the girls sat in the hall and made garlands.
3. Vanitaa rukkhassa saakhaayo chinditvaa aaka.d.dhi.
woman / tree's / branches / having cut / dragged
The woman cut and dragged the branches of the tree.
4. Bhariyaa ma˝juusaasu vatthaani ca suva.n.na.m ca .thapesi.
wife / in boxes / clothes and / gold and / kept
The wife kept clothes and gold in the boxes.
5. Daarikaa paasaadassa chaayaaya.m nisiiditvaa vaalukaaya kii.li.msu.
girls / palace's / in shadow / having seated / with sand / played
The girls sat in the shadow of the palace and played with sand.
6. Bhariyaaya katha.m sutvaa pasiiditvaa kassako sappuriso abhavi.
wife's / speech / having heard / having being pleased / farmer / good man / became
Having heard (his) wife's speech and was glad, the farmer became a good man.
Alt: Being pleased hearing the talk of the wife, the farmer became a good man.
7. Devataayo pu˝˝aani karonte dhammena jiivante manusse rakkhantu.
deities / meritorious deeds / doing / righteously / living / people / mayůprotect
May the deities protect the people who live righteously doing meritorious deeds.
8. Pabbatasmi.m guhaasu vasantaa siihaa vaalukaaya kii.lante mige maaresu.m.
in mountain / in caves / living / lions / on sand / playing / deer / killed
The lions living in the caves in the mountain killed the deer playing on the sand.
9. Ammaa daarikaaya kujjhitvaa hatthena pahari.
mother / with girl / having got angry / with hand / hit
The mother got angry with the girl and hit her with her hand.
10. Vanitaayo saddhaaya bhatta.m pacitvaa vihaara.m netvaa sama.naana.m puujesu.m.
women / with devotion / rice / having cooked / (to) monastery / having taken / to monks / offered
With devotion, the women cooked the rice, took (it) to the monastery and offered to the monks.
11. Tumhe maa sura.m pivatha, maa gilaanaa (sick) bhavitu.m ussahatha.
you / do not / liquor / drink! / do not / sick / to be / try!
You, do not drink liquor, do not try to fall ill!
12. Dhammena dhana.m sa.mharamaanaa pa˝˝aaya putte posentaa naraa manussaloke sukha.m vindanti.
righteously / wealth / collecting / with wisdom / sons / nurturing / people / in human world / happiness / experience
Lit: Collecting wealth righteously and bringing up sons with wisdom, people experience joy in the world.
People who collect wealth by fair means and nurture children with wisdom enjoy happiness in the human world.
13. Sace tumhe naavaaya ga'nga.m tareyyaatha diipasmi.m vasante taapase disvaa aagantu.m sakkissatha.
if / you / by boat / Ganges / would cross / on island / living / hermits / having seen / to come / will be able
If you cross Ganges by boat, you will be able to come after seeing hermits living on the island.
14. Parisa.m parivaaretvaa paasaadamhaa nikkhamanta.m bhuupaala.m disvaa vanitaayo modanti.
[by] retinue / having [being] accompanied / from palace / leaving / king / having seen / women / are happy
The women are happy seeing the king leaving the palace accompanied by his retinue.
15. Ka˝˝aayo saalaaya.m sannipatitvaa kumaarehi saddhi.m sallapi.msu.
girls / in hall / having assembled / with boys / engaged in conversation
The girls assembled in the hall and chatted with the boys.
16. Khudaaya pii.lenta.m gilaana.m yaacaka.m disvaa ammaa bhatta.m adadi/adaasi.
by hunger / oppressing / sick man / beggar / having seen / mother / rice / gave
Having seen the sick beggar oppressed with hunger, mother gave (him) rice.
17. Guhaaya.m niliiyitvaa sura.m pivantaa coraa siiha.m passitvaa bhaayi.msu.
in cave / having hid / liquor / drinking / robbers / lion / having seen / were fightened
Hiding in the cave and drinking liquor, the robbers saw the lion and were frightened.
Alt: Robbers drinking liquor hiding in the cave were frightened on seeing a lion.
18. Varaahe maaretvaa jiivanto naro gilaano hutvaa dukkha.m vindati.
pigs / having killed / living / man / sick man / having become / suffering / experiences
The man, who lives on killing pigs, becomes sick and experiences suffering.
19. Vaa.nijassa aapa.ne ma˝juusaaya.m muula.m (money) atthi.
merchant's / at shop / in box / money / there is
There is money in the box at the merchant's shop.
20. Sama.naa manusse paapaa nivaaretvaa sappurise kaatu.m vaayamanti.
monks / people / from evil / having prevented / good men / to make / try
The monks try to make people good by preventing (them) from evil.
Translate into Pali
1. The man stood on the road asking (from) my mother the way to go to the monastery.
naro / a.t.thaasi / magge / pucchanto / ammaaya / magga.m / gantu.m / vihaara.m
Vihaara.m gantu.m magga.m ammaaya pucchanto naro magge a.t.thaasi.
2. Having prepared rice with faith for the monks, the woman took it to the monastery.
pa.tiyaadetvaa / odana.m / saddhaaya / sama.naana.m / vanitaa / nesi / vihaara.m
Saddhaaya sama.naana.m odana.m pa.tiyaadetvaa vanitaa vihaara.m nesi.
3. You can live righteously and seek wealth.
tva.m / sakkosi / jiivanto / dhammena / pariyesitu.m / dhana.m
Tva.m dhammena jiivanto dhana.m pariyesitu.m sakkosi.
4. Sitting in the shade of the house the girls cut branches from the creeper.
nisiidantiyo / chaayaaya.m / gehassa / ka˝˝aayo / chindi.msu / saakhaayo / lataaya
Gehassa chaayaaya.m nisiidantiyo ka˝˝aayo lataaya saakhaayo chindi.msu.
5. Wicked men did not advise their sons who drink liquor.
asappurisaa / na ovadi.msu / putte / pivante / sura.m
Asappurisaa sura.m pivante putte na ovadi.msu.
6. Taking the basket and money the girl went to the market to buy corn.
aadaaya/gahetvaa / pi.taka.m ca / muula.m ca / daarikaa /
agacchi/agami / aapa.na.m / ki.nitu.m / dha˝˝a.m
Pi.taka.m ca muula.m ca aadaaya/gahetvaa daarikaa dha˝˝a.m ki.nitu.m aapa.na.m
7. If you light lamps the lay devotees will see the objects in the monastery.
sace / tva.m / jaaleyyaasi / diipe / upaasakaa / passissanti / ruupaani / vihaarasmi.m
Sace tva.m diipe jaaleyyaasi upaasakaa vihaarasmi.m ruupaani passissanti.
8. O good men, you learn the dhamma and try to live righteously.
sappurisaa / tumhe / ugga.nhitvaa / dhamma.m / ussahatha /
jiivitu.m / dhammena
Sappurisaa tumhe dhamma.m ugga.nhitvaa dhammena jiivitu.m ussahatha.
9. If you try, you can avoid evil and do good.
yadi / tumhe / ussaheyyaatha / (tumhe) / sakkotha / parivajjetvaa / paapa.m / kaatu.m / pu˝˝a.m
Yadi tumhe ussaheyyaatha paapa.m parivajjetvaa pu˝˝a.m kaatu.m sakkotha.
10. Having seen the lion sleeping in the cave, the woman ran.
disvaa / siiha.m / sayanta.m / guhaaya.m / vanitaa / dhaavi
Guhaaya.m sayanta.m siiha.m disvaa vanitaa dhaavi.